Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring is here for Liquid Strength

I have been so pleased at how full classes have been even with the weather being awful (raining) or wonderful (in which case being outside is very tempting). If everyone ever shows up at the same time, we will be uncomfortably crowded but so far it has worked out great.
I will not be here tomorrow (Friday) to teach. I will be in class next wed and out Friday again so make sure you are THERE ! I would like all of you who did the pre 6 week challenge testing to test again and tell me your numbers !!! I will be bringing my tape and calipers to class the week after next.
I was perfectly sore from class yesterday. I hope all of you are feeling the same. So many of you are changing before my eyes that I am inspired every time I see you !!! Tues I will be shooting my video (small privately funded so it will not be a fancy thing). I will be able to hopefully offer some home tutorials and demos on the site. That will be great. I hear very often from students who have moved and can no longer attend classes so for all of YOU this will be a huge thing. I know myself that once your body changes from Liquid Strength, it is a huge bummer to suddenly lose it as nothing else does quite what this does !!!
The level at which we are working is so advanced at this point that I find myself getting really excited about the future and creating new moves and cycles that will get us further and further along in our practice.
One goal I have for EVERYONE is to see the effect of all your hard work happen before we are in full Spring gear. That being said, I would like for everyone to pick ONE very simple rule that they will follow going forward that will improve themselves in one way or another. I am not talking about radical changes (although those may well happen with time) but something very doable that you actually can and will do.
I am opting for one thing physical and one thing emotional. I am avoiding gluten and wheat. I have a lifelong post nasal drip, runny nose and "clearing the throat" habit that seems to magically disappear if I avoid gluten/wheat. I am loving that. In a different area altogether, I am trying to listen more and be less defensive. I find as I age and feel much more comfortable with who I am (and like that person !) that I am less concerned about pleasing everyone around me. I have always been (and likely will always be) a person who likes to please and make others happy. Sometimes this can call for knocking myself down a little to be more "unthreatening". Being 42, I am ok with someone not liking me for their own reasons. It is more important to me that I like myself and what I stand for. I want to be a role model for my daughter and my students/clients. I want all of you to be just as competent and smart and daring as you are without feeling the need to "lessen" who you are to be more readily excepted. If someone is threatened by you, you don't want them in your life anyway. You want to surround yourself with strong and able people who will challenge you to be ALL that you can be and cheer you along the way.

3 comments:

  1. Being that there was no Liquid Strength class today (sadly), I went to another location to take a body sculpt class with a friend. Well let me tell you, that was a big waste of time!!! Normally I am not too down on these types of classes – there are some that are ok, and some better than others, but by no means are they as focused and tuned into your body as the Liquid Strength Method.
    Anyway, the instructor lost my interest and respect within the first 10 minutes with all the useless arm waving and sidesteps. To me, that kind of warm-up for a class is so 1980; just silly and a waste of time and energy with nothing accomplished. The rest of the class was your basic standing repetitions of bicep curls, lateral arm raises, squats with butt squeezes at the top and of course the requisite lunges. I wasn't trying that hard because I just wasn't into those moves, but tomorrow I will probably be sore in all the wrong places and will miss (so much) the butt-ache! I did try to sneak in some Liquid Strength "home" positions wherever I could (when the instructor wasn't looking), just so I could work what I really wanted to work-the glutes!
    All that being said, I am very glad to have met Story and been introduced to her Liquid Strength Method. It really is one of those things that once you try it and understand what it's doing for your body, you wont want to do anything else! And on top of it being a great workout, it is a happy and uplifting place to be each class day!
    Its like a certain gym's mantra "it's not fitness, its life"...well "Liquid Strength isn't a body sculpting class, its a way of life!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this video. There really is nothing like your class. I have hypermobility syndrome (double jointed) which is great in some respects since I am so flexible but I also have joint issues and have to be very careful. Your class is the most intense workout I have ever done but also the easiest on my joints- it actually improved my joints (especially knee issues) once I actually did the moves correctly. It has been a year now since I have left NYC and it is your class that I miss the most about the city. I have managed to keep the weight off and am a size smaller than I was a year ago but I am unfortunately not as fit. Hopefully that will change once I get my hands on your video. Thank you for your wonderful program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lila, I miss you !! I read a review of my class online that you wrote and I was so grateful. I made the video for people exactly in your position. Once you have done and love Liquid Strength, it is such a bummer not to be able to do it anymore !!

    ReplyDelete