Wednesday, March 11, 2009

6 week challenge

On Friday, anyone doing the 6 week challenge should bring a notebook and a pen. Also, before Friday, do the following:

1) Decide on your goal/s. This goal can be anything:
  • being able to run 2 blocks
  • feeling strong enough to do class really well
  • having a strong and positive connection to your body and mind/soul.
  • losing 8lbs (boring but valid)
  • getting arms worthy of short sleeves
  • feeling young and full of energy again,
  • etc.
I will be very open and give you my goal:
Since my Melanoma diagnosis and consequence procedures I am feeling all of my 41 years and not very connected and strong in my body. I feel very emotional and like I need to work on what I am feeling instead of ignoring it and eating too much comfort food.

2) Decide on a rough idea of your eating plan:
  • Weight Watchers
  • "Story's challenge"
  • No snacking after dinner
  • More protein and veggies and less [insert unhealthy food]
This can be any eating plan that will be realistic and help you reach your goal. I will be working individually with all of you to find the right one. The more specific, the better. I will give you a peek into mine (note I eat a very large amount of healthy food):
  • No refined sugar
  • Whole wheat bread limited to lunches only a couple of times a week
  • After dinner and dessert, no snacking (contributes to sinus issues and snoring which leaves me tired)
  • No artificially sweetened anything
3) Take your resting heart rate for 60 seconds while in bed upon waking (write it down)

4) Take the following measurements:
  • waist at bellybutton
  • arm 2 inches below arm pit
  • leg 2 inches below rise (crotch)
5) If you were not in class, you will need to do the following fitness tests:
  • count how many pushups with no pauses and going from floor to full extension with body straight (either from knees or from toes with feet uncrossed and on the floor)
  • count how many walking lunges you can do. Keep weight on the front leg and bend the front leg until the back knee touches the floor. You cannot stop or slow at all or the count is over.
6) Weight (this may go up and be a GOOD thing as you will have built muscle)

I HIGHLY suggest you get a heart rate monitor for this challenge and beyond. This tool is invaluable beyond what I have time to explain on this blog. The exercise commitment on the off days of Liquid Strength will be using (depending on) one.

On Friday I will be at least an hour early to class to meet with anyone who wants some time. Please take advantage of this and I will be offering the following services:
  • body fat caliper testing
  • personalized dietary plans
  • personalized exercise plans
  • photos (before)
  • measurements
  • explanation and organization of your log books
  • coaching on how to make this a successful 6 weeks
  • giving you my cell phone #. This is a very huge thing as I am very private about this and I want you all to USE it and call me. I am your "personal trainer" for the next 6 weeks if you sign up for this challenge.

5 comments:

  1. For anyone out there thinking that going without refined sugar is impossible....it's not impossible! I did it and am still off of it after a year and almost 3 months. I'll never go back.

    Eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story, I can't do push-ups because of my shoulder. Or rather, I am afraid as previous attempts have strained tendons. Any suggestions for alternative measurement to begin my challenge?
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! Liquid Help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. Liquid Help Energy

    ReplyDelete