Tuesday, November 11, 2008

     This week I want to focus on the more philosophical  aspects of Liquid Strength.  I truly believe that this is the cornerstone of why Liquid Strength works and why we all love doing it so much.
     When I created Liquid Strength, I was looking for a way to "meditate" away from my daily "lists" and stresses. The concept of "The List" is one that I have found really resonates with my students. We all have several "lists" running pretty much non stop in our heads on a daily (even hourly) basis. These lists can be:
"What I need to do before/after work"
"what I need to buy to make dinner/lunches tomorrow"
"the foods I can't eat"
"problems in my marriage/at my job/with my body"
"surfaces that are dusty"
"movies I haven't had time to watch"
"books I need to read"
"emails I have to write"
"friends I have GOT to reach out to"
"insecurity check list" (this one tends to pop up when we are stressed and because we know it SO well we run to it whenever some new issue pops up. It is like our "go to" list)

    I bet all of you could write some pretty funny lists that keep you quite busy mentally on a daily basis. I would love to read them !!!!
    When we do Liquid Strength, we are very challenged physically and very focused mentally. The need to be present to do the cycles at all helps keep us away from our "lists".  As you progress in your practice you will find yourself getting lost in the flow of the cycles. There is a great opportunity there to experience a true moving meditation. To exit your laundry list of lists and feel your body and your "self" in a present and positive way. Sometimes I feel as though I am feeling my "self" for the first time as I struggle to earn my way through a difficult Liquid Strength "cycle".  It is a wonderful chance to experience the perfection that is you. It is amazing what we are able to do with our bodies.  When I see my students finding the grace and beauty in a movement cycle that I know is really challenging for them, I can see the joy and pride and sometimes even surprise of realizing the power that is in your body.
    If we can focus on that experience. (The almost out of body observation and celebration of the miracle that we are.) We will change our physical selves. We will change the relationship we have with our bodies. We will learn to find joy in the thing that we tend to "beat up" on the most and that we give such power to make us miserable. The ability to choose how we see ourselves is ours. When you make that "switch", everything changes.
   Your body reacts to your perception of it.  It took me years in the fitness field, motherhood and lots of floundering to figure that out.  I see all of you as you walk into the room. Your bodies changing so profoundly every week.  I see the "switches" in class when you are lost in the work. I can always tell that the big physical changes will happen a week or two after that "connection" is made.
   The practice and teaching of "mind body" connection is a delicate and profoundly personal one.  Each of you will find your own unique path to get there.  I can tell you what has worked for me and guide you along what I believe to be the road to getting there but the mastery of that connection is yours alone to make.
   I feel so lucky to be able to be on that journey with you all  and to learn with you and from you as we travel along this road.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment