Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mind-Body Connection

Hi. This is Scott. Story asked me to guest blog on my take on the mind-body connection.

We live in an extreme urban environment where our lives dictate the necessity of our mind exerting control over our actions. Liquid Strength is the rare opportunity for our body to speak back to us, to give feedback. We all arrive at the gym with the various loops replaying in our heads (work, kids, relationships, what to have for lunch). One of the greatest benefits for me is how I am forced to get back into my body. I cannot be worried about the business project deadline or any other list playing in my head when my glutes are screaming at me. This action brings me into my body. As in yoga, this then allows my mind to quiet down, to drop the lists continuously looping in my head and override my screaming muscles to find an inner calm.

This past Wednesday, I was tasked to keep count of the repetitions. Surprisingly, I found it challenging to keep track: normally, I lose myself in the fluidity of the motions, rising above the cacophony of my muscles, to arrive at a meditative calmness, unaware if we are on the 11th or 22nd repetition of an exercise. Counting kept me focused on the task at hand and made it more difficult to silence the screaming of my glutes, which I found distracting. My mind could only focus on my muscles cries for attention. It was hard to not sympathize with their exhaustion, but this is not how to grow stronger. One must push through. The mind controls how we perceive external stimuli and stress. If one deems something inconsequential, it will be so.

Everyone responds differently to prompts. We all have our internal filters which translate the same expressions uniquely. When I’m told not to think of flying pink elephants, it’s is hard to not, if only for an instant, think about flying pink elephants. When my muscles are screaming at me, it is hard to do much else than acknowledge them. But my will controls my muscles. Once acknowledged, (yes, I feel your pain) I can then move forward, very much as one does with yoga, to find an inner quietness amidst the symphony of shaking muscles.

Positive visualization is a very strong tool. If I focus on how I am a strong athlete, increasing my power, my body will respond. If I approach the class and move through the positions from a position of strength, engaging with full intent, I will grow stronger. I will listen to my body, but I will unite it with my spirit and leave stronger and more whole.

I have watched everyone make great progress with understanding the positions and your bodies are responding. I look forward to continuing the journey with the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment