Friday, December 12, 2008

gifts

    This time of year we give and we receive gifts.  Gifts of time, attention, compassion, forgiveness.  These gifts we give to those we love.  I would like you to also give these gifts to yourself.  In order to fully love and be able to give, we must be "full".
     One of my clients was struggling to get to the next level with her body and her confidence. She is busy and looks great but she wasn't "feeling it".  I gave her a very superficial and silly assignment.  I told her to go buy a lotion that had self tanner in it (I love Dove and she is very pale like me).  She used that lotion every day.  She took the time to rub it into her body and look at herself.  It is amazing how a little color SHOWS the lines of your body.  She realized how much the work she was doing was changing her body.  I know she felt better. Two weeks later, I walked in to train her and she looked amazing. Radiant and noticeably leaner.  She said "You know, after that self tanner thing, I got excited about my body. I made some small changes like smaller portion sizes and less junk.  Mainly though, I just felt lean and it worked".  
    I would like you all to give to yourselves this week.  Take the time to nurture your SELVES.  Take a good look in the mirror. Stand there and truly love your body and all the amazing things it can do. You can get into a city bus without using the arm rails. You can pass everyone on the subway stairs. You can get into and out of a car without having to "pump and pull" on the doorframe. If you start looking around you, you will be shocked at just how capable you are when you see everyone else around you. You are earning your strength, your body and your confidence.  You are giving yourself such a gift.  Celebrate that gift.
    Whatever it takes for you to feel fabulous RIGHT now. Do it. Today I want you to be exactly and perfectly happy with the body you live in.  Not 5, 19, 40lbs from now but TODAY. We are are and should strive to be better on every level every day.  The journey to mastery is an infinite one.  The start of that journey is feeling joy at where you are today.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year. I am in Baton Rouge and I am working out using the liquid strength moves. Speaking of gifts, it was a great gift to be able to not only have you as my teacher but to work out along side the wonderful regulars in your class. It was an amazing experience of group transformation. I am so blessed to be so fit right now. It is warm and beautiful down here in Louisiana and I am in great shape to take advantage of all of the outdoor activities. Thank you Story, Scott and all of the regulars. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete